The biggest challenge I will face is not what I will write but that I will keep writing. I've spent the last two weeks enjoying my freedom and making up for lost time by reading book after book after book. The more I read, the more I feel it: an urge to let loose my characters and see where they take me next. I set goals at the end of my thesis and I will to stick to them.
- I will write when the urge strikes.
- I will write when I think I can't.
- I will write when it's the last thing I want to do.
- I will take risks.
- I will "kill the neighbor's dog" and I will own it.
- I will never settle for easy.
- I will always let my characters lead and surprise even me.
- I will set goals, by chapter or by word, and I will meet them.
- I will finish my novel in the next year.
- I will finish the series.
Me? My characters lead. They surprise me. If I can read my own work and be gripped through action or emotion despite knowing what's to come, I know I'm heading in the right direction.